A History of Tioga New York
Here Ezra Smith settled about 1791, and it was correct that the settlement needs to be called in his
honor. Mr. Smith opened public house at this point and kept it till about 1809 when he eliminated to Candor and was prospered in service by proprietor Isaac Boardman. Ezra Smith established the hamlet but Isaac Boardman was possibly the most active man in its later advancement.
A union totally free school has been in operation in the town for more than twenty years, where regard the Centre leads in the county when population is considered; and the school here performed has always ranked with the best universities of the county. Oscar Granger, now county school commissioner, was for about fourteen years its principal. The present principal is Prof. C. J. Rider. The members of the board of education are J. C. Latimer, president; J. G. Quirin, Eugene Schoonover, Peter M. Johnson, Edgar Holt, and C. J. Goodenough. Secretary, A. G. Hill.
In writing of the early inhabitants in this area reference must be made of John Smith, who showed up the river from Pennsylvania in a canoe, in 1793, and made the first enhancement on the farm more recently owned by James Steele, not far from Smithboro. John Smith’s kids were Richard, John, and Henry Smith.
The Christian church of Halsey Valley was arranged in 1847 through the efforts of Rev. A. J. Welton. The society flourished for a time but later liquified ‘.
The church and society here, were in reality arranged in 1847, the edifice was built in the next year, however the society itself was the direct offshoot from the old Baptist church of New Bedford, arranged in 1796 by that devoted old missionary employee and leader, Rev. David Jayne. The regional church has a present membership of 111 persons and is under the pastorate of Rev. L. S. Green; clerk of the church, James H. Drake, of Glencairn.
Goodrich settlement in the early years of the century was a location of considerable importance and at one time threatened rivalry with Owego settlement on the east side of the creek. Nevertheless, with the removal of numerous of the males of the western hamlet to the eastern the previous started to lose eminence; and besides having been the region in which lived numerous prominent males Goodrich settlement has actually been barely more than a name and an outstanding farming region.
Within the limitations of the village are perhaps 250 residents. Here also are two churches, a great school, three stores, a hotel, and a butter tub factory and cider mill. The merchants now in company are Cooper & Fisher, Thomas Fleming, and William Gould. Proprietor Kellogg is proprietor of the hotel, and Ira Hoyt, present supervisor of the town, owns the combined tub factory, cider mill and factory for making cider vinegar. Two excellent physicians make the valley a home and practice. They are Drs. Hollenbeck and Vosburgh. The town correct is located on the line between Barton and Tioga, a part in each town.
s at present positioned Tioga Centre is a hamlet of about 300 population, and is happily positioned on the west bank of the Susquehanna, and on the line of the Erie and the Lehigh Valley railroads. On account of the decline of its manufacturing markets all interests are correspondingly depressed, and only two stores and the saw mifi, and the abandoned tannery building, remain as proofs of old-time success. Today merchants are Fred Martin, in the old Ransom shop, and C. H. Bonham, follower to Bonham & Brooks. In the town are the Baptist and M. E. churches, a good school, a big creamery and milk station, and two hotels. The old Tioga Centre hotel is kept by Moses Ohart, and the Hotel Water fountain near the Lehigh station is conducted by N. A. L’Amoureaux.
The present Baptist church of Tioga Centre is the indirect outgrowth of the society founded in 1796 by Rev. David Jayne, although the present one is numerous years removed from the mother organization. In January, 1838, the society at the Centre was offered a company as a branch of the Owego society, and in October following a different church was formed. On October 12, 1844, the name was altered to the Baptist church of Tioga Centre, and in 1849 a church erection was developed, costing $2,000.
John Waterman originated from Peekskill, in 1800, and decided on exactly what in later years was called the Wright farm in Smithboro area. James Waterman married with Lncinda, the daughter of Wait Smith.
Leach’s Mills in the early history of the town was another location of note, for here were the mifis of different kinds developed and run by members of the Leach family, which Caleb, and Ephraim were the active elements. Caleb Leach developed the mills in 1806 and in later years other prominent persons of the place and of Owego had an interest in them. A carding and grist mifi were first put up, and a device store and foundry were added later. Once busy location are eliminated and little bit now remains as proof of previous success, all the industries of this.
German Settlement is a name which has – been known in Tioga history given that about 1830, – and was used to the area where there settled a variety of German households. They were thrifty and well-to-do, and lived both in this town and in Sincerity. The settlement has actually always been considered a part of Tioga.
Wait Smith came here, in 1802, set up a store, and started blacksmithing, his shop being the only one then between Owego and Athens. Amongst the other Smiths in the locality at an early day were Ward and James Smith, bros, and Benjamin Smith. Joshua Smith, the mfflwright, Jared Smith, stone mason, Gabriel Smith, preacher, and Daniel Smith, however amongst them all none related other than Ward and James.
A brief distance north of Goodrich settlement is the place for several years known as Glenmary, the house of Willis, of Bristol, of Gen. McCallum, of Col. Dorwin, and now understood as the Glenmary House, a sanctuary for suffering humanity, founded and performed by Dr. Greenleaf, with proficient assistants.
One of the most effective and oldest business males of this area is Luther B. West, who opened a shop at the valley in 1846, and who from that time has actually been in some way associated with the history of the place. A store or two has been preserved at Halsey Valley considering that Mr. West made the start in that direction, and such mills and factories have been run as regional interests seemed to need.
Mr. Randall came to the location in 1852, was bridge keeper 31 years, merchant eight years, and farmer about twenty-five years. Mr. Poole came to the town in 1865, and was for lots of years determined with mercantile and other enterprises.The settlement and development of this part of the town did not begin till about 1825, however when once started it progressed quickly, for notwithstanding its comparatively remote location from the river region, Halsey Valley and area forms a fertile district and one as productive as can be discovered in the county.
The Methodist Episcopal church of Halsey Valley was formed and an edifice was put up in 1854. This society has actually ever preserved an active presence and is now among the largest in the area.
The Tioga Centre M. E. church was officially arranged October 20, 1870, and a holy place was developed in 1872. Methodism in Tioga dates back to the time when Lorenzo Dow preached and visited among the spread occupants of the area; and to the time when Bishop Asbury held camp meetings on leader Lodowick Light’s lands. In truth it might be said that Methodism in Tioga is nearly as old as the town itself. Today church has a strong subscription and a successful Sunday school. The pastor is Rev. M. W. Barnes.